stool making & assembly part 1 - pic heavy

For chair makers world wide to discuss techniques and design of chairs from around the world

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

stool making & assembly part 1 - pic heavy

Postby gavin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm

This series may inspire others to share their processes. I prefer not to use cordless drills and like the horizontal drill fixing for holding the Veritas tenon-cutter
1.2.1980-01-01 00.03.04 (WinCE).jpg
1.2.1980-01-01 00.03.04 (WinCE).jpg (13.71 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

1.1980-01-01 00.01.34 (WinCE).jpg
1.1980-01-01 00.01.34 (WinCE).jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

1980-01-01 00.03.50 (WinCE).jpg
1980-01-01 00.03.50 (WinCE).jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

1980-01-01 00.05.26 (WinCE).jpg
1980-01-01 00.05.26 (WinCE).jpg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

1980-01-01 00.07.19 (WinCE).jpg
1980-01-01 00.07.19 (WinCE).jpg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

IMG_0110 (WinCE).jpg
Rings cut from plastic pipe can help you visualise the likely yield.
IMG_0110 (WinCE).jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 6370 times

IMG_0116 (WinCE).jpg
insert a wedge before or after the froe helps drop the froe a little further - this makes a big difference!
IMG_0116 (WinCE).jpg (21.91 KiB) Viewed 6366 times

IMG_0122 (WinCE).jpg
The cleaving brake here is Mike Abbott's "Champion the Lumber Horse"
IMG_0122 (WinCE).jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 6366 times

continued in part 2
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: stool making & assembly part 1 - pic heavy

Postby nic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Gavin- unless you know the axe has a softened poll I really wouldn't hammer it with the sledge/Maul. If you burnt the handle out of the head though it would be safe enough. Even still eventually it will mushroom over, possibly workharden and still throw out a chip.

My father hammered an axe and a bit of the axe shot out so fast it buried itself in his leg deep enough that A&E thought it safer to leave it in. A few years later he got a pipe detector for christmas- we could locate the chip because it beeped when we ran it over his leg. But then I know exactly how big the chip is as I have the axe it came from. I use a wooden mallet on it now.
nic
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 pm

nic wrote:Gavin- unless you know the axe has a softened poll I really wouldn't hammer it with the sledge/Maul. If you burnt the handle out of the head though it would be safe enough. Even still eventually it will mushroom over, possibly workharden and still throw out a chip.

Fair comment. I do like to drive with a metal sledge hammer, and will stop using the ax head for this. I have some special metal timber wedges which I presume are ok to drive with sledge hammer.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby nic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 pm

They should be fine- when they start to mushroom and crack grind it back. I am careful to do this with anything I use to demonstrate to the public with. It is hard steel against hard steel, such as axes against hammers that really causes problems though.
nic
Regular

Axe splitting

Postby ToneWood » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Surprised to see the axe head being used as a splitting wedge - the Gransfors axe book [P32] goes out of its way to recommend not doing this (with images of the consequential damage to the axe head you might expect*), except with one or two of their mauls that have been specifically designed and manufactured with this unusual use in mind. [Baggy just posted a link to another on-line book that covers this too on P29: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2686 ]

If you feel the need to use an axe for splitting wood in that style (i.e. as a wedge/froe rather than as an axe), as I have and other forum members do (I recall the images) and Wille & Jogge Sundqvist do in their book(s)/video - better to use a big, heavy wooden froe mallet/beetle, wooden mallet or other soft mallet instead of a sledge hammer. That way the mallet takes the damage rather than the axe [P32 in Baggy's book link]. For the log in pics above, I might try splitting it with a large froe (12"+) if I needed to split it accurately (e.g. for a bowl) - especially if is a wood that splits well, e.g. ash. Yes, I know a froe is a leverage tool but you start it with split.

*The eye hole "squidges" out inside, also the main weld can start to break open on some axes, such as Kent-pattern axes, & the poll can mushroom. I don't think removing the wood from the handle would help, as you'd loose support from the eye - it would probably make things worse.
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Splitting Wedges

Postby ToneWood » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm

...But for big stuff you often need a big metal sledge hammer. Splitting wedges are designed to be used with a sledge hammer like that but will mushroom eventually (you've seen images of my inherited old splitting wedges), so they should be kept filed down & sharp to avoid shrapnel injury. But I think you taught me that Gavin. My wedges were originally used with a big 10lb sledge hammer but I now find that a 4lb lump hammer is usually adequate, and more fun - but you end up working closer to the wedge/blow, so wear safety glasses/a visor.

My father usually used 2 wedges for big rounds, I usually use 3 wedges on large blocks mainly to keep the split straight (for bowl blanks) - or 2 wedges and a piece of wood. Splitting wedges are fairly cheap, about £6 new (except fancy ones from Gransfors, Husqvarna, etc.) - about the same as a vintage axe head.

BTW Jogge's book shows aluminum wedges for splitting. I've looked for them but can only find aluminum felling wedges - so perhaps that is what he uses. I guess they would be lighter, softer and possibly less likely to break off dangerous shrapnel.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Gavin, you are always safer to hit metal with wood. Do not use a side axe for splitting. I use a small conventional axe for small pieces as you show, and metal wedges for the big stuff. The froe is designed to split long pieces in combination with a cleaving brake.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Donald Todd wrote:...The froe is designed to split long pieces in combination with a cleaving brake.
They're also traditionally used to cleave roof shingles/shakes too (more common in USA than UK these days), which are not so long.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Donald Todd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:03 am

They were probably used for shingles because the length of the blade allows a wide piece to be split. I don't know how long the shingles would be, but the blade of mine is relatively thin giving less wedging action than an axe or purpose made wedge when driven straight.
Donald Todd
Regular

Location: Kilspindie, Carse of Gowrie, Scotland (halfway between Perth and Dundee)

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Donald Todd wrote:...I don't know how long the shingles would be...
Rougly 18" - 2' I would estimate. I made a shed that had cedar shakes about 10 years ago - I didn't make the shakes though, they came bundled with the raw timber kit. My house at the time had similar roofing, it's still quite popular around the Seattle area.
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Chairmaker's Exchange