Sticky Fingers

For chair makers world wide to discuss techniques and design of chairs from around the world

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Sticky Fingers

Postby Stanford Peverill » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Sometimes I have to use the odd blob of glue in my chair making escapades, can anyone please recommend a good glue or caulking substance that has a slow hardening time that will give me a little more scope to fettle my jointing practices. Thanks
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Re: Sticky Fingers

Postby gavin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:28 pm

PVA is ok.
But I suggest you practise making a series of dummy test joints.
Mike Abbott's suggestion of Veritas 5/8" tenon cutter I find an absolute winner.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks Gavin will try the dummy tests and the PVA
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Traditionally hide or pearl glue was used. You need a pot in water to heat the stuff up. The great thing about this glue is that unlike any modern stuff you can use heat or hot water to melt the glue so that the joint can be taken apart. Violins are made this way. Antique restorers love the stuff as it make life so much easier. I have used this stuff and it can be a bit of a faff and I have never glued up a chair with it, on a cold day it has a short open time
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby TonyH » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Titebond liquid hide glue is less bother than the traditional way with glue pots etc, but can still be dismantled with warm water in the same way. Still sticky old stuff to use, and still has just a hint of dead animal aroma to it :wink:
TonyH
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:31 pm

The pearl glue sounds an interesting exercise and a challenge to have a go at. I do use one of the Titebond products already but as implied there is a tendency for it to go over and sets a little too early so I may switch to their hide glue and give that a go. Thanks very much Tony and Sean for your reply and assistance.
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Return to Chairmaker's Exchange