This weekend: Ian S, Oak bowl, carved reptiles & pallets

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: This weekend: Ian S, Oak bowl, carved reptiles & pallets

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Yes Gavin, Tonewood will. If you take a look at the intro post on the new area, you will see that I have also already requested that the moderators move this and my other "This weekend:..." thread to the new area. Would do it myself but not empowered to on this forum (nor to delete my own posts on many but not all threads -- odd that, some threads/areas allow it and others not).

I plan to finish documenting this bowl on this thread, which will hopefully be relocated to the new area at some point.

In my defense, I will point out that: (1) the areas is called Beginner's corner, rather than Beginners' Questions, (2) I am a beginner & used the threads to discuss issues & early projects as a beginner, with other beginners like bulldawg & more experienced members , (3) the new Projects area didn't exist when these 2 threads were created - and posting elsewhere might have drawn similar complaints about it being beginner stuff not appropriate there (4) The most appropriate place for a thread is not always as obvious when it is started as when it has been going a while - posters can take the discussion in unanticipated directions, which might influence where the most appropriate location might be (on other forums, I've seen this handled my moderators simply moving threads - often concerned with new members not knowing how to selling things within forum rules - not a big deal).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby voodooalpaca » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Sorry it's taken a time, my new moderator powers are taking a while to master. :oops:

I've copied this into the new projects area. I think however it remains here, so you can all blame me, I'll see if I can lock or remove this message

I'm going to shift some other posts when I find them.

Phill
voodooalpaca
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Looks good Phil, its in the AOB< Members Projects area now. Thanks :) Looks like I can delete my posts in this area too (new button next to Edit button/ checkbox in the editing screen). :)
Ooh, I see what you mean - it's still in the Beginner's corner as well, and it's not a copy, both areas are pointing to the same discussion thread. Needs to be unhooked from the beginner's corner thread somehow.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby voodooalpaca » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:57 am

I moved it but added a "shadow topic", which in essence means a copy. I have now removed the copy!

Back to bodging everyone!
voodooalpaca
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:01 pm

The oiled bowl with branding. I was aiming for a crafty look but the diamond (2012 being the Queen's diamond jubilee year) puts me in mind of a corporate logo :(. The coloured triangles are carved out 2-3mm deep and filled with melted pink wax crayon.
Bowl branded.jpg
Maker's mark & diamond year
Bowl branded.jpg (63.97 KiB) Viewed 5642 times

That maker's mark reminds me of something, if only I could remember what...
Bowl texture.jpg
Image shows exterior & interior tool-marks/texture.
Bowl texture.jpg (94.17 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:13 am

Tone,

Beautiful bowl! I think it is the best work you have posted to date! Love it lots! :D
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:09 pm

That's very kind of you Bulldawg. I've got several bowl projects that I'd like to do - but I'm a little "bowled out" at the moment. "No more bowls" as my son said this week :D. The bowls & spoons are starting to stack up as I want to hang onto them until the Village Vegetable show later in the Summer (if we are not on holiday) - our village is tiny but the v. small craft section is still challenging, a (trained) green wood chairmaker always wins, easily (possibly with the same chair each year :D). It will give the linseed oil plenty of time to dry. Meantime, I've got some riven wood projects in the garden to keep me occupied.

I need to work on my decorative carving skills, Kolrosing, chip-chip carving & anything else that might help. Maybe best to practice on blank pieces of wood rather than a carved bowl/spoon, which kills my ambitions. I was wondering if a v. narrow gouge or v-gouge might be useful for this (did you see that video I put on the First Bowl Tools thread?). I should probably do some more spoons too, I found that quite useful, creative & enjoyable - and quicker. Axe handles. Kuksa.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:40 pm

About the chip carving, I spent about a month doing nothing but chip carving in bass (lime) wood. It's actually relaxing after you get the hang of it. I must have cut thousands of tiny triangles that month. But I also bought a book with celtic patterns in it and tried my hand at chip carving those. Eventually you will see some of that style of decorative carving in my work. It is well worth the effort.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby trollwumple » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Your photo above reminds me of a very big "half" walnut shell, all be it upside down, I like the tool marks and the texturing, it has a sort of organic look to it, nice bowl.

Ps. your makers mark reminds me of a glass which would be just perfect for a large pink gin :P .

will
trollwumple
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm

:) Very good, yes it is reminiscent of a walnut now that you mention it - perhaps that was an influence.

The pink gin is happier image, which I am more than happy to adopt. :)
ToneWood
Regular

Previous

Return to Member's Projects