Bowl

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Bowl

Postby nic » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:53 pm

was going to post this in the show us your bowls thread but a) its not turned. b) I can be the first to post here.

spalted bowl side 2.jpg
spalted bowl side 2.jpg (196.48 KiB) Viewed 11215 times

spalted bowl side 3.jpg
spalted bowl side 3.jpg (239.53 KiB) Viewed 11215 times

spalted bowl top.jpg
spalted bowl top.jpg (220.65 KiB) Viewed 11215 times

spalted birch. was hollowed out at a show last weekend as a test piece for punters to try my tools out on. was then left outside in the rain, added scallops and shaped outside last night. Dried it on the mantlepiece over the stove overnight and was dismayed to see a small crack appearing; has had another coat of oil and is somewhere cool wrapped in newspaper. Patience is not a strong point for me.
nic
Regular

Re: Bowl

Postby Bob_Fleet » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Nic
Brilliant bowl and a great first posting for this forum, pics as well.
Nice one.

Hope you're surviving the floods or the inflow of folk from the potential flood down the valley.
Probably need to keep the bowl indoors to dry out now.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby fish » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:09 pm

love the look of it,reminds me of an empty half walnut shell.
fish
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:28 pm

The phrase "frickin' cool" popped into my head as I looked across your images. Brilliant. It's so way out there. I've never seen anything like it. And so clearly not turned. I am picturing you with a massive cartoon gouge making it - did you use one of your big "spoon"(/bowl) knives?

Anything in particular inspire that design, or did you just go where the wood(/punters) took you? It put me in mind of a squash/gourd:
ToneWood
Regular

Postby nic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:04 pm

One of the scallops is a little shallower than the rest as the initial hollowing went a bit close to an edge but generally I was left with enough wood to do what I wanted with. I don't really have much idea of what I am going to make I just remove wood until it looks right to me. Its definitely a seedpod of some description. I think there is some sort of giant nut that gets washed around the pacific that has the spiky ends.

This what I used Tone, it is a great to follow up with after my Adze as they have the same curve, being formed on the same mandrel AKA scaffolding pole.

http://www.nicwestermann.co.uk/hand-for ... od_41.html
nic
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi-tech :) Well, clearly it works. What does TWCA Cam mean/stand for?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby nic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Twca Cam is Welsh for Bent Knife.
nic
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Interesting, thanks. I thought it was an abbreviation. Wales is famous for its carved wooden love spoons. Presumably that it the tool they traditionally use.

BTW how big is you bowl - it looks very large at first? I thought silver birch didn't get very big/broad - probably from seeing them in landscaped areas - but I have come across several quite thick, tall ones v. recently, which makes me wonder how big they can get.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Nic, your bowl has been thought provoking. I was wondering how you managed to deal with the outside grooves, between the "scalloped" sections. Especially as you managed to get the walls so thin. Do you use a V-gouge of some kind, or some nifty knife work perhaps?

I've been using a quite a variety of tools myself this weekend, improvising several times when I didn't have the right tool. Even my little homemade, handleless, Kolrosing knife & Stanley knife got pressed into carving duties.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby nic » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi Tone;

The bowl isn't very big- maybe 10" across. If I was doing a bigger one I would use a bigger Twca Cam to keep the scalloping in proportion. The walls aren't really that thin they I just tpaered them down to towards the edge. Quite thin so the overall feel is of a light bowl though.

the inisde scallops were done with the same blade as Mark( Baggy) had for Fathers day, if you use the tip you can turn it to produce a concave cut. It is a suprisingly robust blade- All the shaping on outside of the cedar bowl I posted pictures of a few months back was done with it; I had sold all my personal carving blades at a show and that was all I had left.

Nic
nic
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:53 pm

:D So just something you knocked up with what was laying around. Amazing. My current bowl, which has a considerably simpler & more conventional design, is taking forever (almost finished now, oiled it today). What did you use to carved the outside - the same thing, twca? (Is the twca used like one of those Native American knives - I believe they are generally used with a reverse grip, but have a straight edge before the curved, which helps make them quite versatile...according to Ray Mears anyway :D).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby nic » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 am

I shape the outside with an axe and clean up with a knife; is a lot easier with a bigger one.

I prefer to use a twca with a pushcut so although I am left handed I favour a 'right' handed blade but then I do the same with more (or less, depending on your location :mrgreen: ) conventionally shaped spoon knives. With the twca though I take advantage of the long handle and use both hands.
nic
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Nice work. I've just about finished my oak bowl and, although generally pleased with the result, I can't help thinking how dull it is by comparison.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 am

As I've said in the Facebook Group Nic, that is a lovely bowl and if you are looking to home it in a house that will treasure it, might I offer mine? :wink: Again, that is beautiful!
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Return to Member's Projects