Hawthorn weight-foward hammer

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Hawthorn weight-foward hammer

Postby gavin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:32 am

P7294507 (Small).JPG
P7294507 (Small).JPG (33.05 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

P7294509 (Small).JPG
Handle is set at angle to head. Striking face is cut at angle to the axis of the head.
P7294509 (Small).JPG (30.61 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

P7294512 (Small).JPG
Ruler is 12"
P7294512 (Small).JPG (27.55 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

This tool is a delight to use. We tested it out bashing dowels and it just sings. :D

We'll take it to the streets of Kirkcudbright at the Arts and Crafts Trail 3 to 6 Aug 2012 to bash dowels through a plate for conversion to pencils, whistles and cash.

I rather think these hammers will sell too. Very easily made if you have Veritas tenon cutter - this is 5/8" tenon. The handles are cleft in rectangular cross-section approx 25 x 18 mm clefts.

If you are in the area, do visit us at corner St Cuthbert St and A711.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: Hawthorn weight-foward hammer

Postby ToneWood » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Like it :) What is the advantage of weight-forward, directional stability? BTW I notice in Swedische Snitz Schule that there is a wooden mallet, which uses 2 concentric poles, and its called something like Holzbietel (wood beetle). Presumably that's where the term beetle for froe mallet/etc. came from (and/or the term beat).
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Hawthorn weight-foward hammer

Postby gavin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:47 pm

ToneWood wrote:Like it :) What is the advantage of weight-forward, directional stability? .

Yes. The momentum of the weight forward of the hammer makes the handle less likely to twist. The blow is cleaner and straighter. I have since made a 2nd one. With one in each hand you get into a pleasing windmill-like rhythm.

I'll try this out on the Kirkcudbright Arts and Crafts Trail tomorrow. I think 2 hammers swinging will generate a crowd. That is good for sales.!
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Member's Projects