Making a shave horse - questions

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Making a shave horse - questions

Postby ToneWood » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:16 am

:) Thanks Stibs, without your encouragement, and Gavin's, I wonder if I would ever have got started on the shave horse. Thank you both :) - & jrrcaim who made me believe I could & should known how to make mortice & tenon joints, and Sean Hellman for demonstrating what a mortice chisel is capable of & encouragement. I know that it is rougher than most others but it works well and I made it, incredible. The only power tool used, a cheap electric drill. Some of the advantages of green-wood construction techniques that occurred to me during construction: I can disassemble this quickly and simply with just a mallet and fabricate my own replacement parts to repair/refine/upgrade it.

Alas I am far too ugly and my lovely wife far too busy to take pictures with me in them but here is my horse with no name:
Shave horse - assembled, profile.jpg
Shave horse - assembled, profile.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 4053 times

Shave horse - assembled, rear right side view.jpg
Shave horse - assembled, rear right side view.jpg (87.74 KiB) Viewed 4053 times

Shave horse - assembled, rear side view.jpg
Shave horse - assembled, rear side view.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 4053 times

Now I can finally get back to sawing firewood. ;)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby mstibs » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:22 pm

ToneWood wrote:Now I can finally get back to sawing firewood.

Hope, you didn't have to freeze while making the horse ;) . Nice work. Especially the beech dumbhead looks impressive and biting.
Cheers!
STIBS
Saxons. Were good wood-turners, they had to be because they were poor potters...from "A Short History of Woodturning with the Pole-lathe" by Brian G. Howarth; My bilingual (de/en) Blog: http://mstibs.wordpress.com
mstibs
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks Stibs. Not too cold -I wear lots of layers to start with and then seem generate my own heat when working. Yes the head is a bit big - about the size of a shoebox. I was keen to preserve mass as it was quite hard to find, haul & shape a piece of wood big enough for this. I left it a little bigger than the plan all around so that I could refine the shape later, as it was not perfectly "square". In the end I got the shape close enough to satisfy me and I didn't want to remove any more wood then.

I started out with the idea that the dumb-head had to be massive (i.e. heavy). However, I have since noticed that most dumb head shave horses have smaller heads than mine and some have very thin, light heads -- apparently great mass isn't required. I'll have to see how mine works out. The English-style shave horses seem to work fine yet don't have great mass, nor do they have the extra leverage provided by the raised pivot position of the dumb-head shave horse - something Drew Langsner describes at some length in his 1970s/80's book but which I now suspect is not that important (and could probably be applied to English-style horses too, simply by drilling the swing arm pivot through the adjustable inclined plank instead of the sit-plank - but perhaps that would interfere with size adjustments?).

I'll probably tweak the horse once I have used it more. Some ideas have already been mentioned above & on the main Shave Horse thread. Because I used Jogge's tried and tested plans and because I was constantly checking the fit of everything as the build progressed, I didn't have any size adjustments to make at the end. It just slotted together & worked. I did make a few deviations from the plan: the legs are a little taller and thicker (35mm diameter) than the plan's, the sit-plank is a foot/30cm shorter, the swing arm is curved (more like Drew Langsner's original 1980's design), my swing arm is only half the depth shown on the plan (& the mortice & tenon dimensions adjusted accordingly).

Small things to consider
Mainly "finish" type things:
- round the corners
- incut the sides of the sit plank for my legs (don't feel a need/benefit to this currently but I guess it would reduce size/weight a little)
- refine the head shape/weight

Medium things to consider
Mainly ergonomics:
- reduce the inclination of the inclined plane to 10-degrees [per Sean Hellman's advice] and/or make the angle and/or height adjustable. The angle could be reduced by lifting the front of the inclined plane with an addition piece of wood - per Sean Hellman's shave horse of P1 of this thread.
- maybe reduce the width of the inclined plank, if it turns out to be an obstruction (but perhaps it will be useful?).

Bigger things:
Mainly replacement of parts:
- smart-head
- replace sit-plank & inclined plane & maybe slim legs (from 35mm to 30mm diameter ?).
- holes & wooden "bench dogs" in the inclined plane (and perhaps the sit-plank and/or dumb-head) to aid working with bowls
Last edited by ToneWood on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby mstibs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm

I have a single question I ask myself when I made a new tool for me:
Can I be productive with the device I built in the desired product quality?
Two answers possible:
Nope: Firewood, time for a fresh start.
Yeah: Great, I leave it mostly like it is and make something on it until I have the time and need to build a better one.

:D
Cheers!
STIBS
Saxons. Were good wood-turners, they had to be because they were poor potters...from "A Short History of Woodturning with the Pole-lathe" by Brian G. Howarth; My bilingual (de/en) Blog: http://mstibs.wordpress.com
mstibs
Regular

Previous

Return to Member's Projects