Painted spoons

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Painted spoons

Postby Heath » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Carved a few spoons last week and had a go at painting them. Didn't work out that well so i'm looking to source some decent pigment. Anyone got any advice?

Spoon pics and more info are on my blog: http://holtheathwoodentreen.blogspot.co ... ments.html
Heath

Re: Painted spoons

Postby ToneWood » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm

I tried artists' oil paint, described on this thread (takes a long time to dry): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2620
Robin Wood's thread on home-made paint is excellent (perhaps you are already familiar with it): viewtopic.php?f=15&t=743&p=3856&hilit=Paint#p3856

I've not had the opportunity to test the robustness of the oil paint finish on my test spoon but I am very optimistic that it will be tough because: (1) there are more 400 year old oil paintings left in the world than films from the 1920s and (2) I've tried various types of paint on my diving fins - which have a very hard life - and the toughest by far was oil-based exterior house paint (the distant runner up was enamel paint, acrylic paint did surprisingly poorly).

BTW If you put masking tape around the stem, you'll get a crisp edge - if you like that.
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Member's Projects