Side tables and spoons

Whatever you are currently working on, post it here! A chance to share what you are currently up to. Whether you write books on the subject, or you've just put metal onto wood for the very first time, show us what you are doing! Moderators will move posts from other threads if they feel they really belong here."

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Side tables and spoons

Postby Steve Wrigley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Hello I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd make a start by posting a couple of things I've made recently. I took up green woodwork a couple of years ago but it wasn't until I started my present job that I found I had an almost unlimited supply of green wood and actually got round to making a bobbin lathe and shave horse.

I've really enjoyed teaching myself how to use these over the last couple of months and have now made a couple of side tables.

P1090040.jpg
P1090040.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

Does anyone have a recommendations regarding brace and bits? I bought a new, admittedly cheap brace and and found that it broke when I used a auger bit in it, the chuck just couldn't handle the force applied to the bit when I turned it. Would I be better off just going for an old brace and buying some old style bits to go with it?

Cheers,

Steve
Attachments
P1090038.jpg
P1090038.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Steve Wrigley

Re: Side tables and spoons

Postby woodness sake » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:55 pm

ebay
woodness sake
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Steve Wrigley wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendations regarding brace and bits? I bought a new, admittedly cheap brace and and found that it broke when I used a auger bit in it, the chuck just couldn't handle the force applied to the bit when I turned it. Would I be better off just going for an old brace and buying some old style bits to go with it?

Get both
    1. old style tapered bits to fit in a 2-jawed chuck you'll find in old-fashioned braces. Better if they have a ratchet. In any event the braces and bits are ridiculous cheap at car boot sales.
    2. modern non-tapered bits to fit a 3-jawed chuck in more modern electric and geared drills

You'll find each has a place. Get also an auger bit sharpening file like this. Avoid buying any 2nd hand that have been sharpened on the OUTside

Your recent cheap purchase of brace may have mis-matched jaw and shank and thus caused breakage - the 2 jaws work better with the tapered shank and the 3 jaws better with straight shank.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Car boot sales. I got a really nice one with ratchet & ball-bearing race for £1.50 + 50p for a bit to go with it - no haggling, I think the seller was just glad that it would be used.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Lozzuck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Steve
I bought a wooden handled brace from this company in Germany
http://www.fine-tools.com/bohr1.htm
Very efficient company. However i still prefer to use my late Father in laws brace.
The bits and augers are reasonable and very good though.
Lozzuck
Never too old to learn, but often too old to remember
Lozzuck
Regular

Postby Steve Wrigley » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll get myself a couple of old braces and some bits and see how it goes. It seems like a good excuse to go shopping for some other second hand tools. I'm currently on the look out for old axe heads to renovate as I'm going to be doing a lot of hedge laying with a group of volunteers this winter. An an axe is much easier to use on big old hedges and I'm trying to do it on the cheap!

The fine tools website looks good, maybe I'll get something from there as well.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Wrigley

Return to Member's Projects