Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

post details and dates of courses on greenwood subjects

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby bulldawg_65 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Just saw this on Steve Tomlin's blog/website. http://stevetomlincrafts.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/bowl-carving-one-to-one-workshop/ My buddy Bob and I are both wishing we lived in the UK right now. :(
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 am
Location: Noblesville, IN USA

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby steve tomlin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:41 pm

thanks, it was a great day with Sam.
User avatar
steve tomlin
Regular
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby Steve Martin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 am

Have you considered a course with Drew Lagnser at his Country Workshop, Don Weber in Kentucky, or John C. Campbell School in North Carolina?
Steve Martin
Regular
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Rockwell, North Carolina, USA

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby bulldawg_65 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Oh Yeah!

I think I'll be asking for a class with Don Weber (much closer) for my birthday. We'll see if the better half goes for it. She just told me if I spend her birthday (Thursday) at my buddy's house (we usually meet on Thursdays) carving, I'd come home to an empty house! :lol:
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 am
Location: Noblesville, IN USA

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby ToneWood » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:17 am

bulldawg_65 wrote:... My buddy Bob and I are both wishing we lived in the UK right now. :(
You might think again after you'd seen the prices here, the cost of housing (with no tax relief on mortgage interest), tax & national insurance rates and discovered the joys of VAT (think sales tax of 20% :( - with no break for out-of-state mail order purchases) and of course the weather. However, the always troubled but relatively hassle-free National Health Service is a national treasure, despite what some say in the USA, and of course there is munificent British benefits system (which, along with the banks, is currently bankrupting us), more vacation days (less the Germany & india though :(), and the beautiful British countryside.

I've only met one American that came to the UK to live forever more. Most Americans I've met love America too much to live anywhere else. Get the best of both worlds and visit Britain - maybe take a course here, a hobby/pursuit can be a great way to experience another country (I used to climb and that was a great way to see other countries).

America has a thriving craft-scene too. I'd quite to visit and do one for Drew's courses in beautiful N. Carolina - love that barn workshop [see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2271&start=15 for more on that]. I was impressed by the amount, quality and variety of art and crafts going on around Washington state/Seattle area too (lots of forests too - although some pretty heavy-weight forestry practices in places too - think Mordor :().
ToneWood
Regular
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby trevbushell » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:52 am

ToneWood wrote:
bulldawg_65 wrote:... My buddy Bob and I are both wishing we lived in the UK right now. :(
You might think again after you'd seen the prices here, the cost of housing (with no tax relief on mortgage interest), tax & national insurance rates and discovered the joys of VAT (think sales tax of 20% :( - with no break for out-of-state mail order purchases) and of course the weather. However, the always troubled but relatively hassle-free National Health Service is a national treasure, despite what some say in the USA, and of course there is munificent British benefits system (which, along with the banks, is currently bankrupting us), more vacation days (less the Germany & india though :(), and the beautiful British countryside.

I've only met one American that came to the UK to live forever more. Most Americans I've met love America too much to live anywhere else. Get the best of both worlds and visit Britain - maybe take a course here, a hobby/pursuit can be a great way to experience another country (I used to climb and that was a great way to see other countries).

America has a thriving craft-scene too. I'd quite to visit and do one for Drew's courses in beautiful N. Carolina - love that barn workshop [see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2271&start=15 for more on that]. I was impressed by the amount, quality and variety of art and crafts going on around Washington state/Seattle area too (lots of forests too - although some pretty heavy-weight forestry practices in places too - think Mordor :().


Aren't there any moderators on this site?
trevbushell
new member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 pm
Location: Plymouth

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby ToneWood » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Trev, didn't mean to upset. Which bit didn't you like - I can remove it?
ToneWood
Regular
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby gavin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 pm

trevbushell wrote:
ToneWood wrote:
bulldawg_65 wrote:... My buddy Bob and I are both wishing we lived in the UK right now. :(
You might think again after you'd seen the prices here, the cost of housing (with no tax relief on mortgage interest), tax & national insurance rates and discovered the joys of VAT (think sales tax of 20% :( - with no break for out-of-state mail order purchases) and of course the weather. However, the always troubled but relatively hassle-free National Health Service is a national treasure, despite what some say in the USA, and of course there is munificent British benefits system (which, along with the banks, is currently bankrupting us), more vacation days (less the Germany & india though :(), and the beautiful British countryside.

I've only met one American that came to the UK to live forever more. Most Americans I've met love America too much to live anywhere else. Get the best of both worlds and visit Britain - maybe take a course here, a hobby/pursuit can be a great way to experience another country (I used to climb and that was a great way to see other countries).

America has a thriving craft-scene too. I'd quite to visit and do one for Drew's courses in beautiful N. Carolina - love that barn workshop [see: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2271&start=15 for more on that]. I was impressed by the amount, quality and variety of art and crafts going on around Washington state/Seattle area too (lots of forests too - although some pretty heavy-weight forestry practices in places too - think Mordor :().


Aren't there any moderators on this site?

Do please share with us TrevBushell what you find offensive here that makes you ask about moderators. I am not one.
Gavin Phillips


- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
User avatar
gavin
Regular
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby bulldawg_65 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Funny, I didn't find anything offensive here either. I'm aware of the value added tax in Britain, and for that matter the rest of Europe as well. I can't speak for my buddy Bob, but I've lived in France, Germany and Italy, and to tell you the truth my wife and I are seriously considering retiring in France. (I have lots of family there). I do have quite a few ex-pat friends as well who are very happy living abroad and do not want to return to the US. I guess it comes down to what is most important to a person.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 am
Location: Noblesville, IN USA

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby Bob_Fleet » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:41 am

Quietly moderating away here.

You never know though someone really appreciative of the tax reduction for earnings over £150,000 or who doesn't mind their frozen tax allowance if they are over 65 or even the fact that their pension is now uplifted by CPI instead of RPI might like to post. Just their opinion.
Bit off topic for a greenwood site though but if it encourages a few more greenwood workers to come over, even for a visit, then so be it.

Maybe we should avoid aardvarks though. Use the site search to figure that one out.

Must hide the hose away now, oops, not a problem, I'm in Scotland.
Now that's a place to live and plenty of woodlands.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
User avatar
Bob_Fleet
Regular
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:11 pm
Location: Sunny Dunbar

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby ToneWood » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:19 pm

As Spike Milligan once pointed out, "Aardvark never hurt anyone." :)

[I would have deleted my post (although still unsure what bit might offend) but for some reason don't have "edit"-capability on this thread.]
ToneWood
Regular
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Man do I wish I lived in the UK!

Postby ToneWood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:04 pm

With Jogge Sundqvist coming to the Peak District of the UK for Spoonfest this year, I can see your point. ;)
ToneWood
Regular
 
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:21 pm


Return to Courses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron