Looking for Course leaders

post details and dates of courses on greenwood subjects

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Looking for Course leaders

Postby joe_thompson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Good day Bodgers,

I'm on the lookout for anyone who is able to provide courses in woodland crafts in and around Doncaster, South Yorkshire. We have a site in a community woodland with a compost toilet, a fire pit, seating circle and may have a cob oven and workshop shelter in the near future. I'm thinking, but not at all limited to, bowl or spoon carving, willow weaving, knife skills, stool and chair making etc from beginner skills to more advanced. We'll be hoping to organise a series of these workshops. Or if anyone knows of a good resource to find these people, maybe a woodland craftsperson directory, that would also be much appreciated. If you, or anyone you know, can help please let me know!

Thanks very much

Joe
joe_thompson

Re: Looking for Course leaders

Postby Davie Crockett » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum. There's a list of demonstrators on the front page of this site: http://www.bodgers.org.uk/demonstrators-menu Just under that on the menu is a list of courses.

Good luck with your venture, it sounds great!
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby joe_thompson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks Davie, appreciate the welcome. I've been amazed by how welcoming and receptive this woodcraft community both online and at fairs and shows, so thank you all. And that list looks useful! I'll start working through those nearby. Are they any other similar resources online? Its difficult to tell who's willing to travel though, and who's any good! This thread remains open for anyone who can recommend a local craftsperson (and yes that can include yourselves, no time for modesty :p) or anyone willing to travel

Thanks again
:)
joe_thompson

Postby steve tomlin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm

hi Joe,
I'm based in Kendal, Cumbria and have been teaching spooncarving since 2006. I travel with my scythe courses and could do with woodworking too. You can see my work on my website stevetomlincrafts and read about the last spoon carving course I ran. Send me an email if you're interested to talk more about it steve-tomlin[at]hotmail.co.uk

steve

steve tomlin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:11 am

I am close but I am not cheap. What are you looking for?
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby R.Sixsmith » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:27 am

Hi Joe <,
We have a group of Polelathe turners and greenwood workers in Doncaster , we meet at Cusworth Hall on the last Sunday in the month ,we have a knowledge of all things green ,if we can help you with any thing we are available . My contact details are on this web site under Local Groups . My phone no is 01709 897949 best after 6pm or evenings . I ran the Bodgers Ball at Cusworth in 2009 .Which was a great success. We hold develpment days ,making Pole-lathes and shave horses etc also tool making for turning .
Cheers Ralph Sixsmith MBE
R.Sixsmith
Regular

Return to Courses