Spanish Basketmaking tuition in Spain.

post details and dates of courses on greenwood subjects

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Spanish Basketmaking tuition in Spain.

Postby HughSpencer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Anna Champeney has sent me details of a couple of courses in Spain.

SPANISH SPLIT WOOD BASKETMAKING ASSISTANTSHIP OPPORTUNITY
with Lluis Grau, (Spanish basketmaker)
3 weeks of one-to-one tuition in all aspects of split wood basketry combined
with helping out in his basketry workshop in all aspects of his professional
work. Price includes self-catering accommodation.
Dates: 31 October - 20 November.

SPANISH BASKETMAKING TUITION - SEPTEMBER "FLEXI WEEK"
Low cost residential week with Lluis Grau, Spanish basketmaker with one-to-one tuition in greenwood basketry (split chestnut, willow, alder buckthorn, ash, cherry ...).
Dates: 7 - 14 September 2009.

More information: email://lluisyanna@terra.es or visit http://www.casa-dos-artesans.com.
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Re: Spanish Basketmaking tuition in Spain.

Postby robin wood » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 pm

I would be surprised if anyone here is looking for a basketry course but if anyone is fancying a nice woody holiday in a lovely warm and friendly place I would highly recommend this. I have not been yet myself but I know Anna and Lluis is a highly respected maker of split wood baskets. I could be quite tempted myself. :D
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby forestdesigns » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:52 pm

I will be doing a one on one split basket course with Lluis in mid september. He seems to be a very well known & respected craftsmen of split baskets & a teacher with many years of experience! In fact my first instinct when I first saw Lluis´s website a few months back was "no... that´s not what I´m looking for, it´s not woody enough". However now that I´ve begun to focus on split basketry, I see a much wider picture involving it´s elaboration. From the sourcing of wood, preparation of material by hand, & finally weaving the basket. I can´t wait to have the chance to learn from someone like this... I´ll let you know more when I´ve had the opportunity to finally try my hands at this task.
Danny Ellis
forestdesigns
forestdesigns
Regular

Postby forestdesigns » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:23 pm

I´ve recently taken a three day split basketry course with Lluis & enjoyed it very much!

He´s a great guy & tried very hard to teach me as much as he could with the time we had, & I hope I was the student he deserves... I know that I´m a slow worker, as I tend to want it right the first time & always better afterwards (although I doubt it´s actually the case). I look forward to the day I can return to visit him & Ana. Ana is a very devoted craftswoman who creates some fantastic naturally dyed, traditional Galician weaves.

I would recommend either one of their courses to anyone remotley interested.

As an added bonus I had the oportunity to eat off one of your plates Rob... you are an inspiration & I´m in your debt.

I´m going to try to post a photo or two, wish me luck. *crosses fingers*
Danny Ellis
forestdesigns
forestdesigns
Regular

Return to Courses