new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here

Postby Robin Fawcett » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Fruit woods are fine for spoon carving, especially Cherry - you might be reading the wrong stuff - some people are too overcautious.
Actually I have just thought of a cherry which may not be good for spoons - Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) has had some bad press and I think the leaves may contain cyanide! It doesn't look like a real cherry - big, glossy leaves and used for hedges.
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby starypan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:25 pm

Thank you for your reply, Robin.
starypan

Postby Treeman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:16 am

Hello all,

I,m Mark or Treeman as Mark was taken. I have just gotten into green woodworking. I've made a few spoons, spatulas and cuts to the fingers. I am a gardener and arborist (less so these days) so have access to wood and thought why burn it, I'd rather use it to make things.

One question I have is how to make a four legged chopping block or bench without it rocking due to uneven legs? Getting them even in angle and length seems beyond me.

Cheers.
Treeman

Postby Davie Crockett » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Welcome Treeman! Does it have to have 4 legs? Three are much more stable. If you have to have 4, find a level area to work in. The angle of your legs need to be between 12º and 24º and facing away from the centre of gravity of the block, they need to be about 3 or four inches longer than you need them to be.

Chock the legs until the block is level and all 4 legs are in contact with the ground/filler blocks. (You should have at least 1 or 2 legs which don't need any chocking).

Find a piece of wood to use as a gauge (It needs to have parallel top and bottom surfaces and be as thick as the gap between the SHORTEST leg and the ground). Mark all the legs at your required height and cut to the line. It should be level. Good luck.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby Treeman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Davie,

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I'll give that a go and see if I can get things level. The chopping block I'll take your advice and use three legs but the wee bench I'm making for my wife and so it will be better with four.
Thanks again.........
.......now where's my sliding bevel :?
Treeman

Postby Mike the Blacksmith » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Hello All,
I go by Mike the Blacksmith because I am.
Retired after 50+ years of forging ,metalsmithing,welding...in steel and non ferrous metals.
Started in my Grandfathers shop sweeping the floor at the age of five, and after all the years still love the shop.
After retiring I cleaned up the shops and started to look for new areas to get involved in. My wife and I live on 45 acres of forest in Southwest Wisconsin USA.
Lots of green wood to play with and some time to have fun with it. Found The Association of Polelathe Turners & Greenwood workers online and joined.
You have great info and publications.
Thanks for being such a great group.
Your friend over the pond,
Mike the Blacksmith
Mike the Blacksmith

Postby Igotknobblies » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi Robin and everyone else. I'm new. Good friend of mine, Paul Robinson introduced me to spoon carving 3 years ago and I've got the bug badly, to the point where I'm looking at trees all the time sussing out the best cuts. The disease has spread and I'm into axes now and home tool making from Upcycled 'womble' steel. So, hope to cross tracks with a few of you in the near future. Best regards, David Tweedale (near Canterbury, Kent.)
Igotknobblies

Postby Davie Crockett » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi David...welcome...Look out for local groups to get involved with, If there isn't one start one up!

The Bodgers Ball is well with a visit if you're interested (Near Chichester this year) Always the second weekend in May and moves around the country depending on host groups. If it's a bit far this year it will cycle round eventually to somewhere closer.
Chat soon,
Dave
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Hi Mike...Welcome...Always good to get new members from across the pond.
Cheers,
Dave
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby rokbottom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Good Morning, My Username is Rokbottom, this is a reference to a Kite, I am interested and make all sorts of stuff, I make and sail RC Model Boats/Hovercraft, I make and fly Kites,also Aerial Kite Photography, I make and play Didgeridoos, I am a member of the Medway Men in Sheds and have recently been making Rocking Giraffes and Dinosaurs, a Lap Steel Guitar.
I have never done Green Woodworking but have just made a Pole Lathe and a Shaving Horse and acquired a Lovely Draw Knife.
I look forward to meeting you somewhere sometime.
Real Name = Len.
rokbottom
Regular

Postby Joran » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am

Hello,

First I will present myself briefly: my name is Joran, 20 years old and I’m from Belgium.

Recently I finished my pole lathe after watching lots of videos on youtube and reading comments on this forum.
photo1.png
Pole lathe
photo1.png (197.93 KiB) Viewed 5662 times

I just mounted a blank of chestnut, which has become more like a disc for practicing the technique. The problem is that there is always a rough area left where the end grain runs.
photo2.png
Rough surface on the outside
photo2.png (238.44 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
Somehow I managed to get a smooth surface all the way around on the inside, but that's all there is.
photo3.png
Smooth surface all way around on inside
photo3.png (232.35 KiB) Viewed 5662 times

The hook tools feel pretty sharp though and I get these thin shavings.
photo4.png
Shavings
photo4.png (239.05 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
I made three of them: a double outside bevel, double inside bevel and single inside bevel. The last one snapped, although I have tempered them (guess I was a bit too excited to start :-).
photo8.png
photo8.png (129.79 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
photo6.png
photo6.png (158.07 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
photo7.png
photo7.png (91.79 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
photo5.png
photo5.png (237.57 KiB) Viewed 5662 times

Now my question is; could anybody tell me if the roughness is because of the wood, the sharpness or either technique? Should I rather search for alder, sycamore (acer pseudoplantanus) or beech?

If it is about sharpening, could you guys tell me which steps I should follow? I used some mounted grinding stones/bits on a drill and a flat and conical diamond stone. Is it worth buying a set like dmt diafold with different grits? And does a cotton buffing wheel help for sharpening?

Lots of questions but it feels good to share my inquiries, after figuring out a lot by myself. Sometimes I start wondering if I should just come to the uk and follow a course/internship (it is a pity I missed the Bodgers Ball).
If I could receive some feedback already through this forum, that would be wonderfull!

Hope my english was comprehensible. :-)

Thanks in advance!

Joran
Joran

Hello All - Newbie to the site and green woodworking :)

Postby eastas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just saying hi, This all feels a little odd, I'm Sue and come from Chesterfield. I work in Insurance in Sheffield- the whole green woodworking arena is a revaluation, I had a taster at a craft fair from a lovely lady called Nadine. From a hour session I was hooked and signed up to the spoon course, I have a couple more next year and then a bowl course in Feb.

I now own two lovely axes and a range of spoon knives to kick of my new obsession...... :D

Once my skills improve I hope to have a go at pole lathe - that is after the Bushcraft courses (camping is new for me as well) later in the year and one on Kuksa's with Paul Adamson :D :D :D :D - it really does sound like a midlife crisis now I read it back...!

Anyway - nice to meet you all
Sue x
eastas

Postby rokbottom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi Sue,
Welcome, I am fairly new to Green Wood Working.
There are lots of helpful people on here if you need it.
Have you found a Group near you to join ?.
I am down in Kent and get lots of help from the Kent Group Members, I enjoyed it when we made a chair from a tree in a Day ( 12 hours actually ) .
Keep those tools Sharp.

Regards.

Len.
rokbottom
Regular

Postby eastas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks Len, I've contacted the Sheffield group so fingers crossed they will accept me :D
eastas

Previous

Return to Beginner's corner