Leather edge guard (for adze)?

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Leather edge guard (for adze)?

Postby ToneWood » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Any suggestions about where to get or how to make a leather edge guard for an adze (Han Karlsson 50mm 600g cup adze)?
I already lost the little gummy edge protector the HK appear to dip onto their ferociously sharp edged tools :( .
I'd be interest in a quick and easy, cheap and cheerful solution, and perhaps a longer term solution.

I see Robin Wood has a really nice one in a picture that he posted (he made it clear that it did not come with the adze).

I also noticed that Crafts Workshop in the USA mention a product called TV-05 (appears to be HK or for HK adze).

I would quite like to make a decent leather cover in the future but currently don't have the skills, materials or tools for it.
Alternatively, perhaps somebody makes something suitable. I came across two older gentlemen at local craft events that
did leather work and took their details, unfortunately, I think I've lost their details over the intervening years. This might
be an interesting little project for them.

These adze covers look quite good and might even be achievable with my non-existent leather-work skills:
http://www.rockisland.com/~kestrel/adze.html
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Leather edge guard (for adze)?

Postby ToneWood » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Apparently Woodcraft Supplies may be getting some edge guards in.

Also I now recall, jrccaim in Alaska (isn't the internet incredible), tackling this on another thread, basically suggesting that we get a Speedy Stitch awl and gain some basic leather skills.

BTW I came across a similar competing product from Tandy, unlike the Speedy Stitch, it has the cord spool on the outside. I like the idea of tackling a fairly straightforward leather project but I really don't think I dare buy anymore tools for a while :D.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tandy-Leather ... 20b571682f
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:57 pm

The only tools you need to buy for simple leather working are needles. An awl is essential and can be made from a nail filed into a diamond cross section and to a point, also make a small stumpy handle for it.

Use 2 needles one at each end of the thread. Make a hole with the awl push 1 needle through. Make another hole and push one needle through and then the other, carry on in this way. With the first hole the thread should be half way between the needles.
My Dad was a saddler and and often made up his own thread by taking thinner cotton thread and using a number of strands twist it on his knee and rubbing a block of beeswax over it. All saddler's will wax there thread. The 2 bits of leather being sowed needs to held in a vice of some sort.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:26 pm

If you don't protect your edges, all that effort in getting them sharp can be lost as soon as you move your tool. Several years ago, I attended a day session with North West England local group. It was hugely worthwhile. In consequence, I spent more money buying a hide, rivets, punches etc. If you value sharpness and own more than one tool, you need to cover the edges somehow. Cardboard, plastic, bark and sticky tape will all work in the short term, but long term it is leather that will solve the problems.

Sean's post above is spot on, and you'd understand it the better if you studied this very useful book The Art of Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman.

Sewn pockets look nice, but do take more skill than riveting. Riveting 2 pieces of leather is very effective & quick for protecting edged tools. You'd think the tool- edge would contact the rivet shaft - but it does not. If you sew sheaths, you need a middle and 3rd layer of leather called the welt - if you don't insert a welt the blade will cut your stitching. But with riveting the compressed leather prevents the tool-edge from meeting the rivet. The image above shows riveted pockets. All you need is leather, a punch, rivets long enough to pass thru 2 layers of leather, and rivet setting tool - plus a hammer. Le Prevo in NE England offer a pretty good service, even if their online catalog is very 1990's. You can actually call them and they'll tell you how to do stuff and which of their tools to use. I am sure there are other suppliers out there. What other recommendations in other countries?

This stuff is so important. We'll all pick up second-hand tools and restore them to useful glory. But if you cannot protect your edges, you cannot apply 100% of your attention on the wood work and you will waste time re-sharpening unnecessarily, and you may waste time seeking medical attention for cuts.

So: who will create an entry level tutorial on edge protection?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Those are great, insightful posts :). But where do you get your leather these days? We used to have those things nearby but the local tannery closed when I was a child and the saddle maker has gone since then. I think I saw somebody recommend using an old belt somewhere (youtube?) - seems a shame not to have a nice piece of hide (if only an offcut) if you are are going to take the trouble to hand craft something.

BTW on ebay, I came across something called Chicago something (rivets/screws/...), basically a rivet for leather than you screw together. Although I like the idea of sewn leather, maybe with a couple of rivets for extra support.

UPDATE: Chicago screws on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicago-Screws-x10-Nickel-plate-1-2-leather-work-craft-art-fastening-/330700785000?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D330685736372%252B330685736372%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6995016473037865019
Last edited by ToneWood on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Rich Dyson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Here's a cover I made for my adze. As per posts above just get a bag of rivets and a hole punch and you cannot go wrong. I used a sam browne fastner.
006.JPG
Adze Cover 1
006.JPG (35.11 KiB) Viewed 15079 times

I take no credit for the design which was blatently copied from Ian who is a frequent poster :roll:

007.JPG
Adze Cover 2
007.JPG (32.82 KiB) Viewed 15079 times

008.JPG
Adze Cover 3
008.JPG (39.45 KiB) Viewed 15079 times

Hope this helps
Rich Dyson
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:29 am

Leather is beautiful stuff. Makes neat sheaths, cases, and whatever. With my speedy-stich awl there is no stopping me. But I too have some difficulty finding leather. There are lots of substitutes. At a sewing store you can find (a) heavy canvas and (b) naugahyde (artificial leather) and if you can't find (b) there, an upholsterer's shop may be your friend. Frorm a functional point of view, these two materials are perfectly fine for edge protectors. For that matter, cut apart a beer can or two and rivet it. Alumin(i)um is much softer than steel, won't hurt your edge. May even help it. I read that surgeons used to run their scalpels through an aluminium block before cutting. I find a pop riveter -- very cheap-- and a collection of various rivets useful. Could also use a milk carton -- all plastic these days. In a pinch, cardboard from a cereal box! Hold it tigether with tape. All these substitutes are not esthetic. In fact they look awful. But they protect the edge, and as Gavin said, save you time sharpening and agony from cuts.

I made cases for my cell phone and camera out of discarded eyeglass cases. Naugahyde all the way. But waterproof. Oh, by the way, if you are reluctant to learn sewing (it is no harder than learning to hew), get (at the sewing store where you bought, say, your heavy canvas, some goop called "fabric cement." Lovely stuff. Bonds fabric, leather, and even plastic. Don't know how I lived without my bottle of fabric cement. May have to clamp it before it sets; I usually sew on top of it to "make assurance doubly sure" but you could omit this step with confidence.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby gavin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:54 am

ToneWood wrote:Those are great, insightful posts :). But where do you get your leather these days? .

Repetition of my words above - but without the hyperlink you will see above : Le Prevo in NE England offer a pretty good service
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Silly me, I visited the site and saw all the accessories and completely missed the leather at the top. BTW I also came across a saddle maker on ebay, based up north, that sell really top notch, thick saddle leather off-cuts cheaply BUT only in large quantities (I think it was £15 for 10Kg!) - you can pick it up and save some money too.

How about Birch Bark Sheaths?
Folded: http://pinewoodforge.com/sheath.making.html
Woven: http://naturallore.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/bark-sheath/
Birch book (inc. carving): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1565233077/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=various02-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=1565233077
(There are also several videos on youtube on making birch bark sheaths, but couldn't find anything concise enough to recommend.)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 am

ToneWood wrote:came across a saddle maker on ebay

Sounds good - what are the details?
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 pm

Funny you should ask that :). Found it again, they are in Worksop, Derbyshire - Robin Wood's neck of the county:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/leather-offcuts-saddle-flap-and-bridle-mixed-havana-black-/120869762028?pt=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item1c246633ec

I like the look of this leather (at least in the posted picture) for axe covers - proper thick saddle leathr, rather than soft thin upholstery/clothing leather.

I am considering buying some and selling on the 90% that I don't need :D Shipping is £10 ...for upto 30Kg! Is there a way we could go a group purchase or something, probably not;
Even splitting it, the shipping would be prohibitive. Perhaps a retailer could get a load and resell it? But then it might get expensive.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 pm

BTW I have a really heavy-duty, stiff, rubbery canvas protector, "brick coloured", on the spike of my ice axe. Really tough, hardwearing and long-lasting material (unlike the rubber adze & pick guard at the other end, which has perished away :().
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm

I just got a new adze as well. So I have been making and egde guard as well.
Tried to make it at simple as possible.

The leather is ca. 3-4 mm thick.

Mikkel Frederiksen
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:12 am

ToneWood wrote: Is there a way we could go a group purchase or something,

Good idea - I just took a gamble and bought a load of this off-cut leather. I can cut that into strips of any desired width.
Refer my new post on this topic.

I want you to tell me there what width you would find useful.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:26 pm

jrccaim wrote:... Oh, by the way, if you are reluctant to learn sewing (it is no harder than learning to hew), get (at the sewing store where you bought, say, your heavy canvas, some goop called "fabric cement." Lovely stuff. Bonds fabric, leather, and even plastic. Don't know how I lived without my bottle of fabric cement. May have to clamp it before it sets; I usually sew on top of it to "make assurance doubly sure" but you could omit this step with confidence.

jrccaim (can I call you JR?),
I'd never heard of "fabric cement" before but Google threw up lots of matches, in the UK too - various companies make it (inc. UHU) and sell it (even John Lewis). I'm not reluctant to learn to sew, in fact they made me do more sewing (mainly machine work) at school than woodwork, metal work or art - and they never let me try typing (I'm a touch typist now:)). Come to think of it, all the family can sew (my wife is/was a trained pattern cutter) - but not thick leather. However, I'm game to give it a try. Thinking of getting one of those Speedy Sewer awls but I've really gone out on a limb with tool purchases recently.

BTW I ready one article on sewing thick leather and the guy used a fine drill bit to drill every stitch hole.
ToneWood
Regular

Next

Return to Beginner's corner