Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenware"

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenw

Postby witt » Fri May 11, 2012 10:54 pm

In fact the forge is located in Töre. Take a look at : http://www.skoghammar.se/47911729

This axe is probably mono-steel, so it does not follow a welding at all.
witt
Regular

Postby witt » Fri May 11, 2012 11:13 pm

latest model :
[Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/img]
witt
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 pm

:D I see a lot of effort has gone into getting the weight balance just right ;)

[Alex, carry on posting to this thread if you like - I started it. This axe was really what first inspired the thread & my question.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Sat May 12, 2012 3:47 am

ToneWood wrote::D I see a lot of effort has gone into getting the weight balance just right ;)

[Alex, carry on posting to this thread if you like - I started it. This axe was really what first inspired the thread & my question.]

Thanks tonewood. I appreciate that. I may end up making a dedicated thread to it or just my favorite carving tools. Who knows. I will enjoy adding more photos and sharing more chatter about the evolution of this tool. I really enjoyed this thread before but now we have others adding insight. Great stuff!
alexyerks
Regular

Postby alexyerks » Sat May 12, 2012 4:00 am

witt wrote:In fact the forge is located in Töre. Take a look at : http://www.skoghammar.se/47911729

This axe is probably mono-steel, so it does not follow a welding at all.

Thank you for all the info. I thought I found every scrap of info on these and you really did your homework.

Does mono steel mean it is one piece of steel instead of an axe with a different steel inserted for the edge portion?
alexyerks
Regular

Postby witt » Sat May 12, 2012 9:07 am

yes, indeed.
Thank you, my pleasure.
witt
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 12, 2012 9:12 am

I watched a youtube video (don't watch much TV these days) a couple making a viking-style axe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbCpDsxUHVc [<-fixed link]
I was surprised to see them cut a slot into the main face of the axe with a (hot/cold?) chisel and then insert a different piece of metal (high carbon steel) for the cutting edge/blade/face/bit, before hammer/forge welding it into place.
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat May 12, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby witt » Sat May 12, 2012 9:21 am

That's one of the ways traditional axes were forged (up to 1950 in Sweden).
witt
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Is one inherently better than the other?

I used my Pa's old #2 (2lb) English-made hatchet first on my huge new bowl blank today - it's a little heavier than the Gransfor Swedish carving axe. I cleaned up the head a few months ago, fitted a 17" hickory handle, sharpened it & stropped it and it is pretty darn good now :). It can't quite compete with the carving axe for sharpness and accuracy because (a) it has a thicker bit and (b) it doesn't have an asymmetric grind (wouldn't really work on this profile) - but it turned out much better than I expected it could be. I guess sharpness is the main thing. The longer, slimmer 17" handle gives it extra wallop over the carving axe. Makes me think one on the more conventional Gransfor "hatchets" might be a good alternative to the stefan rönnqvist/Gotland axe for those with more conventional tastes - I notice that Gransfor axes generally have slimmer blades than most (as do most Kent pattern axes). Robin Wood suggests the Gransfor Wildlife axe as a good, smaller axe for carving.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 16, 2012 1:14 pm

You're going to like this:

Another Viking axe option - this one from Gransfor: Gransfors Bruks Swedish Viking Axe GB499-5
There is one on ebay currently (from The Weald & Downland Open Air Museum): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gransfors-Bru ... 2300719076

Looks good to me. More expensive that the Stefan Ronnqvist axe head but there is more of it, as it includes:
(a) a rather crude lace up guard (bit gimmicky for Gransfors, prefer the carving axe's guard) and
(b) a handle - a factory installed Gransfor Bruks handle
(c) presumably the Gransfors 20 year warranty
Loving the axe but would consider it v. expensive at half that price :( (but if you are planning to invade/pillage the East coast of Britain/Ireland, it's probably just the ticket :D).
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Wow-Wee-Wah! Expensive! But handsome! If I had the moolah, it would be minah!

Just finished carving my first bowl... Its a small one 5" in diameter and 2" tall, it'd make a nice nut bowl or even a breakfast bowl... Added some chip carving to the handle. All in all I am pleased with the final result. I used a cheap german splitting hatchet to split the stubborn apple and then cut it into the round with my band saw. (I know, that's cheating.) :) I then did a rough shaping (and I mean very rough) on the outside with my GB carving axe. Began the hollowing with my Jakruss adze and then went to work using my bent knives. Once the hollowing was complete I went at the outside with my straight knives and whittled for a couple of evenings until I thought it looked good. Let it dry for a while, did some finish cutting on it. Put the first coat of grape seed oil on and then when it had soaked in drew a simple pattern on the handles and chip carved it. Two more coats of oil later and Voila! :D

Apple1.JPG
Apple1.JPG (40.03 KiB) Viewed 10130 times

Apple2.JPG
Bottom
Apple2.JPG (40.96 KiB) Viewed 10130 times
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu May 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Brilliant! Lots of interesting details too: grape seed oil, carved decoration, jakruss adze, curved knives for hollowing, maker's mark, the design (handle shape/size & decoration). I see I am going to have to "raise my game" ;) Could use it for porridge/oatbran (v. healthy :)), then you could call it your "porringer" (seems like the sort of word the old folk might use when I was a boy, like "sausengers").
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Sadly this piece is going to the fellow that owns the orchard that gave me the wood. I'm sure he'll appreciate it though and maybe next year, when he starts pruning again, he will invite me up. :D
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby red_beard » Thu May 17, 2012 6:43 pm

I really dig that bowl. The carving puts it over the top. Great job!
God bless!*

~ Jacob

*Not just for sneezes
red_beard
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 19, 2012 1:57 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:Sadly this piece is going to the fellow that owns the orchard that gave me the wood. I'm sure he'll appreciate it though and maybe next year, when he starts pruning again, he will invite me up. :D
I bet you're right. Having the wood come off his own property should make it special for him.

Where do you get grape seed oil? Does it solidify eventually like linseed oil? (Does walnut oil?). I've been planning to move to edible oils - linseed oil is edible (I often add raw linseeds, not the oil, to my porridge) but the raw linseed oil used for woodworking is not rated as edible (probably just because it is not handle carefully enough for a food product -- unlike boiled linseed which includes harmful chemicals). I think it is probably ok for coating eating utensils - but no point taking unnecessary risks.

I was thinking of flaxseed oil from a health food store (probably Holland & Barrett) - which is raw linseed oil intended for human consumption. I recall buying some for salads in the USA, it came in a black plastic container (presumably to stop light decaying it) with strict instructions to keep it in the refrigerator. Or possibly raw linseed oil from a "tack shop" - apparently they add an edible linseed oil to horse food in quantity. Or perhaps walnut oil or grape-seed oil (if I can find it). Would I be right in thinking walnut oil is less coloured than linseed, which is often bright yellow but tones down some with age?
ToneWood
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner