new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here

Postby Éamonn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi there,

I've been lurking for quite a while so I thought I had better introduce myself at last. I've learned a lot from you all so far. Thanks for that, it's a great forum. I almost feel like I know some of you already.

I live in the West of Ireland. I started carving a few spoons when I was on the dole after a friend from the North showed me one he'd carved. Since then I've done a lot of internet trawling and I've since built a shaving horse (more commonly called a cooper's mare over here) and my first lathe and made a few bowls and chairs. I've seen so many episodes of the Woodwright's Shop now,I feel as if myself and Roy Underhill are mates. I'd wager there's not many green woodworkers around here so it's been great to read posts here and watch videos by Robin and Ben Orford and the like.

Although I'm a part-time woodworker, I've recently started supplying a local craft shop with gypsy clothes pegs and kitchenware so I now have an incentive to crank out some stuff in the evenings and weekends.

Anyway that's me. One post on the board.

Éamonn
Attachments
IMG_2244lores.jpg
Selection of Kitchenware (holly, hornbeam, ivy, hawthorn)
IMG_2244lores.jpg (52.98 KiB) Viewed 10828 times
Éamonn

Postby Roydman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I live in the village of Thurlstone at the western end of South Yorkshire. During my life I have been involved in countless hobbies, unfortunately my wife says, some of them quite expensive. Then recently, I discovered Greenwood working and this forum. If only I could turn the clock back. What an eye opener. So much so that last Saturday I bought my first axe at 74 years old.( That's me not the axe). Now all I have to do is learn to use it without damaging anything or anyone. Fortunately looking through this forum I will have plenty of teachers. So I'm looking forward to a lifetime of 'Choppery'.

Best wishes to all,

Michael
Last edited by Roydman on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roydman

Postby gavin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Éamonn wrote:Hi there,

I've recently started supplying a local craft shop with gypsy clothes pegs and kitchenware

pls post pix of your gypsy clothes pegs.
    What price do you sell them at?
    What price does shop sell them at?
    Do they sell them singly or in multiples?
    Do you use them on your own line to dry clothes?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Alas the gypsies/travelers no longer sell pegs door-to-door here, as they once did. So I bought a packet recently from the local art store - seemed pretty cheap at £1 for 10, plastic wrapped :(.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Old_nick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new on here and whats best described as an incomplete novice ... :D I've watched one or two videos on You tube and I have an overwhelming urge to have a go with a pole lathe (I sound like I'm addressing a meeting of alcoholics anonymous :mrgreen: ). So I'm looking for recommendations on designs, and tools and everything else I've forgotten please.

That should be enough for now

look forward to hearing from you all

Nick

North Warwickshire
Old_nick

Postby Garry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi all.

The missus booked me a polelathe course at the Weald and Downland museum for my birthday. Loved every second of it, and am definitely hooked.
Haven't got the room in my postage stamp garden for a pole, and the bungy looks decidedly dangerous to me,so decided to go for a bobbin design, which will hopefully be able to fit in my workshop when the weather turns too. I'll be asking Santa for lots of tools, and will be buying the materials for my shavehorse and lathe shortly too.
My only concern is how to make a bobbin without actually have a means of powering the lathe in the first place, but I do have a cunning plan involving my neighbours son's woodwork project :wink:

Looking forward to racking a few brains on here, you all seem like such a nice bunch 8)

Garry
Life's a box of chocolates, mine just seems to be full of nutty ones!
Garry

Postby gavin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:23 am

Garry wrote: the bungy looks decidedly dangerous to me

Not so. I use 'em all the time at shows. Never had a problem. What risk do you forsee? I may have missed summat.
They are simple, need little engineering, and I'd go for it! Use 10 mm shock cord - they use this for lorry cover tie-downs. That's cheaper than the stuff you buy at marine supply stores. You'll need 6 meters.
Here's mine in use last weekend
1-IMG_2261.JPG
Shed Therapy fine weather show set-out
1-IMG_2261.JPG (83.26 KiB) Viewed 10879 times
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby TonyH » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am

6 metres :shock: Do you have an outsize lathe, or a complicated bungee routing system ? 1.5 metres was enough for me.

As I understand it, such danger as there is lies in the securing of the ends - if one comes adrift, it may give you a painful slapped wrist ! Just make sure the ends are well attached, and if you do this by threading the bungee through a hole and knotting it, round off the edges of the hole to prevent wear.
TonyH
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Old_nick wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm new on here and whats best described as an incomplete novice ... :D I've watched one or two videos on You tube and I have an overwhelming urge to have a go with a pole lathe (I sound like I'm addressing a meeting of alcoholics anonymous :mrgreen: ). So I'm looking for recommendations on designs, and tools and everything else I've forgotten please.

Hi Nick,
Try browsing this forum. This thread on green wood related books (& DVDs) might be worth a look: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2271&hilit=+Books
It includes books on bowls by Robin Wood & chair making by Mike Abbot, among others.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:55 pm

TonyH wrote:6 metres :shock: Do you have an outsize lathe, or a complicated bungee routing system ? 1.5 metres was enough for me.

As I understand it, such danger as there is lies in the securing of the ends - if one comes adrift, it may give you a painful slapped wrist ! Just make sure the ends are well attached, and if you do this by threading the bungee through a hole and knotting it, round off the edges of the hole to prevent wear.

I secure each end to the bottom of the lathe, so that's approx 2 m up, 2 m across and 2 m down.
If you only use 1.5 meters the spring will have a pronounce snatch-point of stiffness. A bowline and a rolling hitch at either end work well. The rolling hitch allows quick adjustment of the tension if that is needed. If you use a short bungee it is more awkward to adjust the tension - you must climb up and fiddle about whilst standing on the lathe-bed.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Paddy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:09 am

hello,

I've lurked for awhile and decided to register as well as join APT&GW. About three years ago, I became engrossed in carving/hewing Appalachian style dough bowls. As time has gone on...many youtube videos later...scouring books by Underhill, Langsner, Abbott, etc, I'm even more passionate to learn more green woodwork!

Having built a pole lathe a couple of months ago, I've been turning and learning, mostly thanks to Ben Orford and Robin Wood's generosity posting their videos and blogs. I am lucky to have a blacksmith group that meets twice a month down the hill from my cabin and hope to forge a few more specialty hook tools now that autumn is here and my work schedule will be more stable.

I'm a native of Virginia and currently live in far Northern California. Been mostly turning red alder and sycamore with some bigleaf maple when I can find it. Much appreciation for the forum and hope to learn more!!

Old Paddy
Old Paddy
Paddy

Postby Garry » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:45 pm

gavin wrote:
Garry wrote: the bungy looks decidedly dangerous to me

Not so. I use 'em all the time at shows. Never had a problem. What risk do you forsee? I may have missed summat.
They are simple, need little engineering, and I'd go for it! Use 10 mm shock cord - they use this for lorry cover tie-downs. That's cheaper than the stuff you buy at marine supply stores. You'll need 6 meters.
Here's mine in use last weekend
1-IMG_2261.JPG

Thanks for the reply mate. My main worry was it flying out of the fixing points and the tension not being constant, but can now see that you get along fine with them. How do you run it round the top points? the pic is so small on my tablet it's hard to see, do you use pulley wheels?
Garry

Postby gavin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:47 am

Garry wrote: do you use pulley wheels?

Yes. Make sure the pulley will accept the diameter of bungee cord you use.
1-IMG_2296.JPG
1-IMG_2296.JPG (51.92 KiB) Viewed 10781 times

3-IMG_2298.JPG
3-IMG_2298.JPG (41.76 KiB) Viewed 10781 times

2-IMG_2297.JPG
2-IMG_2297.JPG (50.46 KiB) Viewed 10781 times
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Garry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:56 pm

That's brilliant!! thanks, I'll be searching my local chandler next week now :O)
Garry

Postby gavin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 am

Garry wrote:That's brilliant!! thanks, I'll be searching my local chandler next week now :O)

I also find them in agricultural merchants and hardware stores, or anyone selling clothesline rope may also stock these. If you find an online source, please post that here.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner