new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here

Postby paganfrog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:07 pm

hello i finally registered in this forum after finding out about it when there was mention a while ago about the bodgers ball that happened this year. i am an infrequent commenter on a facebook group for spoon carving and other greenwood crafts. i got interested in the spoon carving and got hold of a mora sloyd knife and spoon knife.
then i got myself a nice old hatchet and was managing with minimalist tools of just those three. but ive since decided i want to go further than just making some mangled looking spoons. i have juust today put in an order for a ben orford knife. and im working on clearing out my garage to allow for a wood working corner. so im slowly looking out for some other tools i will use.
anyway i think i have caught the bug for wanting to be shedding wood chips where ever i go
paganfrog

Postby gavin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:31 pm

paganfrog wrote: the bodgers ball that happened this year.

Always 2nd weekend in May.
Always worth going to.
500 greenwoodworkers in a field, cheap beer, much fun.
2014 BB is in or near Sherwood Forest ... ?
Put in your diary NOW.
Spoonfest gets good report too - tho' i have not been to one.

On your user control panel you can declare where in the world you are. Always a good move, since you may have a Local Group near you. Have you joined APTGW - the group that pays for this site? If you do, you'll get Bodgers Gazette and see a directory of members. You have to be member to go to BB and its only fifteen pounds p.a.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby paganfrog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:45 pm

gavin wrote:
paganfrog wrote: the bodgers ball that happened this year.

Always 2nd weekend in May.
Always worth going to.
500 greenwoodworkers in a field, cheap beer, much fun.
2014 BB is in or near Sherwood Forest ... ?
Put in your diary NOW.
Spoonfest gets good report too - tho' i have not been to one.

On your user control panel you can declare where in the world you are. Always a good move, since you may have a Local Group near you. Have you joined APTGW - the group that pays for this site? If you do, you'll get Bodgers Gazette and see a directory of members. You have to be member to go to BB and its only fifteen pounds p.a.

thanks gavin, just added my location. i think im a fair distance from any groups. im pretty much used to this, i tend to have interests that i cant share and enjoy with like minded folks.
im aware of the spoonfest, and im hoping i will get the chance to go to next one - theres the possibility we might be taking a holiday in the region. as for the BB i wish i could but i have a son with special needs so i cant just go and do stuff when and where i want.
paganfrog

Postby gavin » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:48 pm

paganfrog wrote:thanks gavin, just added my location. i think im a fair distance from any groups. im pretty much used to this, i tend to have interests that i cant share and enjoy with like minded folks.
im aware of the spoonfest, and im hoping i will get the chance to go to next one - theres the possibility we might be taking a holiday in the region. as for the BB i wish i could but i have a son with special needs so i cant just go and do stuff when and where i want.

Donald Todd is up your way - but he could be 100 miles away... Should you be in SW Scotland, come to Shed Therapy: last FRiday of the month from 7 pm where we gather in my sheds, stoke the fire, drink tea and make stuff: mostly woody stuff but just recently we've baking with mud ovens. You pay by donation. This helps fund my tool fetish.

re special needs - if your son is wheel-chair supported, you could find that tough in a grassy field which can be jolly cold in May. But if he is self-propelled on his own legs, I reckon BB is a very welcoming and inclusive place.

I'd also contact Bob Fleet and get on Wooplaw mailing list - they are 25 miles south of Edinburgh. That aint close to you, but their events could be of interest and do-able for a weekend.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 pm

paganfrog wrote: i think im a fair distance from any groups. im pretty much used to this, i tend to have interests that i cant share and enjoy with like minded folks.
Caithness is pretty big. Two of us went up to Dunnet Forest from Wooplaw last year and helped them make some shaving horses and a couple of pole lathes. Even further north than you - there's nobody further unless you fall off the top. They've got a brilliant log cabin there and hopefully an active group. Here's a LINK to their facebook page.
You're always welcome at Wooplaw so sign up for our newsletter too.
Meanwhile browse the threads with everyone's pics and get some ideas.
Enjoy.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby goldsmithexile2013 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Hello to all on the forum. I re registered as goldsmithexile 2013, (previously goldsmithexile) I couldnt remember the old pass words etc. Fancied a change any way.... :lol: Still working on stick chairs, spoons, ladles in beech, ash, cherry etc. Living in back Mid Suffolk after a disasterous 12 month foray into Dorset.
Cheers Jonathan
goldsmithexile2013
Regular

Postby Robin Fawcett » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:16 am

Nice to hear from you Jonathan...
Have you seen this group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/GreenWoodWork/
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby goldsmithexile2013 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the link Robin-but I dont do facebook any more :shock: :lol:
goldsmithexile2013
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:40 am

Sorry to hear that Jonathan. This group is over 2,000 members strong and is a real community. :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby TomN » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Hello everyone.
I'm a hobby blacksmith from West Oxfordshire, with intentions to try and make a mini business out of it. This is a fair old way into the future though. Currently just looking to get loads of experience and enjoy making things!

I've always had an interest in green woodworking. It would certainly come in handy for making handles to tools etc.
I will be attempting to make all of my own tools when I get going. I've got lots of old hammer heads and car suspension springs that can be transformed into useful things.
Plus if I have weekends up at the wifes grans house, I get bored out of my mind, so I might as well sit about making things.

Currrently been out of 'proper' work for quite som time. I've had a year of agency work, in factories and things, for minimum wage and am thinking about retraining. I'm interested in forrestry work, as I like working outside and making things with my hands too. Any advice on that would be gratefuly recieved as well.

Cheers everyone!
Tom
TomN

Hello

Postby Dan86 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Evening all

My names Dan and Iv had the bug for working with wood for a few years. Iv been skulking around this forum for a few months now and must say it's an excellent resource. I have got a few question and will post them in the appropriate section as soon as I figure out how to post pictures. Many thanks for everyone making this board what it is.

All the best

Dan
Dan86

Postby sidekick39ish » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:54 pm

hi all, yes I`m new. have been collecting and showing vintage chainsaws for many years and have now built myself a pole/bungee lathe.
I'm from Wiltshire and if all go`s well will be exhibiting/demonstrating my lathe at The great Dorset Steam fair.

kevin.
sidekick39ish

Postby Nobby_Salter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a few weeks now. I took early retirement in 2010 and began volunteering in a couple of local council owned woodlands. As a result I met up with a few greenwood workers and became interested in all aspects of woodcraft.
I liked the idea of a pole lathe and with the help of a friend soon had one up and running. I am now in the process of building a shave horse as the one I have at the moment has been loaned to me.
Looking forward to learning as much as I can from the forum and in return helping in any way I can.
Nobby_Salter

Postby Sue Green » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Still learning after all these years.
I don't visit the website enough, but keep up with some folk on Facebook although I don't really get it yet!!
Just finishing off my second chair in 20 years+ of being a member. From side chair to double bow in one long :oops: giant leap. Does anyone else suffer from chair makers block when you just keep looking at it until you know the next bit to do?
I'm coming to the ball this year, hopefully with Chair 2. My last post was years ago, but I hope to make up for it now.
Need to get a photo taken, I think.
:oops: :roll:
Sue Green
Sue Green

Postby JGHunter » Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Hello!

My name's Jeremy, I'm new to woodworking, in a way. I live on the cusp of the north Hampshire border and recently undertook my first green woodworking beginner course, and loved it (I was told I had a natural aptitude with hand tools, which was really encouraging!) but in other ways, I'm not new. I grew up in a pocket of woodland and since I was a child I was cutting wood up, chiselling, hammering, leaving hatchets out in the woods... you name it. I've come full circle and ready to get my hands back onto some grain properly, even considering undertaking an apprenticeship in joinery/furniture-making (I was doing a different apprenticeship, but it didn't pan out, so currently in the workshop pottering along on minimum wage). But this is a means to an end, getting into traditional woodworking methods for my career.
JGHunter

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner