new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

Postby bodgehog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi all,

Just joined after following links from certain hedgey & edgey fora.

My hobby of grubbing about in woodlands has led onto green woodworking with basic hand tools & a thirst to learn more.

Lots of interesting information here.

All the best.

Peter.
bodgehog
Regular

Postby Morten » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Hello!

I might as well introduce myself to all you nice people. I am Morten, I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark. I have been working wood for a long time, mostly building copies of historic music instruments (lyres, harps, bagpipes etc.), turning bowls and carving. But as a reenactor with focus on crafts from the early medieval/viking period, I needed to work the way they did. And suddently I find myself making spoons with axe and knife. And having a great time!

I used to work in graphic design/advertising until it became unbearable. Since then I have studied furniture making and now I work full time in a reconstruction of a medieval village, teaching kids about daily life in 1368.

I prefer handforged tools, and have made a few of my own. Next project is to build a portble pole lathe instead of my electric - it would be nice to be able to turn small bowls at medieval/viking markets.

Morten
Morten

Postby robin wood » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:12 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of info on spoons and bowls here if you use the search function you will find it. Does your medieval village have a website?
I turn bowls full time using effectively viking/medieval methods, if you can forge tools it is a very good start, the hooks are very easy to make but it needs time and experimentation to get it working for you. Our friend Gavin will be along soon to try to sell you some of his hooks. I always recommend making them yourself if you can. Some of the best Iron age turned vessels are in the National museum in Copenhagen from the Hjortspring boat.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Morten » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:13 pm

Thank you Robin, I'm sure I will learn a lot here :D

I have allready been drooling over your fine book for sometime, and my wife and I will come over for one of your spooncarving courses when time and money permits - hopefully this autumn.

I live practically round the corner from the national museum, and spend a lot of time there - when they reopened the collection of danish prehistory our little group were invited to demonstrate crafts from the viking age.

The medieval village is here: http://www.middelalderlandsbyen.dk/ - unfortunately only in danish. It is mostly used for educational purposes, with a few markets every year. There is a few videos and photos under "fotogalleri". Not really the big tourist attraction, but a nice place to work!
Morten

Postby jusali » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi,
I've just joined and my wife bought me membership of the APT.
Some might know me as Sue Green's son in law.
Since being forcefully encouraged to the AGM meeting in 2008 I have steadily and enthusiastically caught the bug.
It's hard to get fully into production because I have 2 little toddlers and as you can imagine weilding an axe is pretty dangerous around them
especially being a newbie. But I'm getting there and have produced a few spoons and even turned my first captive ring!
I'm Bristol based and have a big enough garden to entertain a small workshop in which I want to build and install a pole lathe. However I have first had to build a Kitchen extension so theworkshop budget is looking lean!
Hope to pick up some tips and tricks and hopefully pass on some of my experiences too.
Laters!
Jus
jusali

Postby Derek Masselink » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:21 pm

Hello all!

My name is Derek. I hail from North Pender Island a small island off the Pacific coast of southern British Columbia Canada. Thanks mostly to the information provided through this forum and Mike Abbott's book, I've recently built myself a pole lathe. I am now in search of tools. Last week with the help of a blacksmith/farrier friend I hammered out my first hook tool. I am currently borrowing a neighbours 1/2" power lathe gouge which I have used with mixed success.

One of the challenges here on the west coast of Canada is access to good tools - secondhand or other wise. I would welcome any suggested on where I might get some affordable tools that would get me started spindle turning.

Ultimately I want to turn bowls but am happy to get to this gradually by making my own through trial and error. Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Derek
Derek Masselink

Postby Steve Martin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:16 am

Hilton Handicrafts of the Ozarks sells pole lathe tools and has other info you may find helpful. Shipping costs shouldn't be quite as high as from the UK. Good luck! Welcome aboard.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby Ian S » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:41 am

Hi everyone

Just joined up after attending Robin's spoon carving course, which was great fun.

For some strange reason I have a desire to buy lots of new tools (GB Carving axe, sloyd knives etc). This could get expensive!

Cheers
How sharp is sharp enough?
Ian S
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 pm

welcome ian, buying tools is all part of the bug that has now been implanted in your brain :D luckily you dont need many to start doing interesting things with wood, and dont forget an ample supply of plasters :wink:
http://paulatkin.co.uk/

{the one with the pole of glee} morrigan 2008
paul atkin
Regular

Postby Ian S » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Paul = thanks for the welcome.

paul atkin wrote:buying tools

A-ha! permission has been granted! I have an excuse (like I needed one....) to buy stuff.

paul atkin wrote:luckily you dont need many

Oh, I think I do....

paul atkin wrote:dont forget an ample supply of plasters

Got this bit covered by bitter experience - 20 minutes in to Robin's course, according to Robin. I thought it was just about an hour in, myself.
How sharp is sharp enough?
Ian S
Regular

Postby robin wood » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Ian,

good to see you posting on here and glad the nick is healing up. At least it was only the one and I think it maybe kept everyone else on their toes:D
robin wood
Regular

Postby Rich Dyson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi. I'm Richard from Halifax and following a weekend course with Robin at Edale am taking the big leap from Forum lurker to virgin poster.
:oops: I too really enjoyed the spoon carving course over the weekend and would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn the basics of spoon carving or how to slash their legs.

I was so inspired that I had a go at making a birch box on Sunday night. Image
Whilst the base fits reasonably snug how long do you think it will take for the container to shrink fit? Should I put it on a radiator or let it dry out more slowly?

This evening I had a go at a spoon. Image
I should have paid more attention whilst you were showing us how to sharpen a crook knife. Mine is a bit blunt and like most things you taught us it seems much harder than you made it look! Anyway on the basis that a spoon is defined as a piece of cutlery with a shallow bowl-shaped container and a handle I think this just about qualifies but am holding onto my P45 for the day job for the time being.
Rich Dyson
Regular

Postby robin wood » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:25 am

Richard wrote: would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn the basics of spoon carving or how to slash their legs.

Now really it was only a little cut and only one and......not everyone has to cut themselves. :D

Great to see so many folk from the course posting and fantastic that you went straight home and started carving. Lovely shrink pot Richard. I don't go quite as harsh as on the radiator, just sit it on the kitchen table and give the base a prod each day to see how it's getting on. It will not do much for 2 or 3 days then gradually tighten up over the following 3 or 4. Normally a week to ten days they are dry. If you have got it perfect then the base will stop wobbling when you get there but its no problem if there's still a little movement it won't come out.
robin wood
Regular

Postby matthew » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:02 am

i was wandering what do you do if you don't have time to put the bottom in as soon as you finish carving it.(a shrink box that is)
in other words how long do you think you could wait and it still shrink around the bottom.
and what about a little advice on that crook knife sharpening
matthew
Regular

Postby robin wood » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:18 am

Well if I couldn't put the base in straight away I would keep it in a polythene bag where it would be OK for a few days. Any more than a week I don't think it would work but it's not something I have tried. I will try to do a tutorial on hook sharpening. The main trick is whether you rub stone on tool or tool on stone sharpen along the bevel (from handle to tip or vice versa) not back and forth towards the edge as you would a straight knife.
robin wood
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner