new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:47 pm

Welcome guests.

We know you are out there, lots of folk looking at the forum but not signing up and posting. If you look at the bottom of the page there is a bit that tells you how many people are online at any given time and often there are 4 or 5 "visitors" and 1 or 2 members. So why not take the plunge, you do not have to be an APT member to join the forum, it costs nothing, takes just a few seconds and then why not put your first post in here just to say hello. Add where your from and what your interests are if you like, we are a friendly bunch.

:D
Last edited by robin wood on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 pm

PS I am hoping to get 10 new members signed up by the weekend, will we do it?
robin wood
Regular

Postby PETER WOOD » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi All
Not realy a new member, I joined the APT a little over a year ago and did regester on the forum some months ago but have not posted before. I am in the NE of England and have been doing green woodwork for about two years. Have turned a few bowls using a bowl gouge and ring tool but made a hook tool yesterday just need to put a handle on and see if it acualy works. Will let you all know how it turns out.
PETER WOOD
Regular

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Peter well done, 1 down 9 to go....

Let us know how you get on with the hook in the bowlturning section. Have you forged other stuff before or was that your first? did you find it easy or difficult?
robin wood
Regular

New to the forum

Postby Paul Booker » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi Folks,

Well I am one of the guests that has appeared over the last year or so and decided to join last week. APT membership soon.

As you will see I am based in the Peak District and work on the other side of the ridge to Robin. I have been doing green woodwork (spoons, whistles etc) for a few years now mainly as an extension of bushcraft work and working in the outdoors ( canoeing,climbing etc).

Currently I am making a Kuska (mug out of birch), and lathe.

I have not posted before as I don't feel I have anything to offer at present.

Regards to all,

Paul
Paul Booker

Postby Nicola Wood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Hello and welcome ... and a local too! Whilst you might feel you don't have much to offer at the moment, do ask if you have questions... or maybe post us a picture when you finish your kuska.
Nicola
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby PETER WOOD » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi Robin
I did a one day introduction to blacksmithing a little while ago when we made a rams head SPAM, seems to be the standard first item. making the hook tool was simple we used a wagon brake drum as a hearth hooked up to some bellows and using our own charcoal for fuel it worked well, just hope the hook work as well.

dont know why it says SPAM thats not what I typed and when I preview everything is corect?
Last edited by PETER WOOD on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PETER WOOD
Regular

Re: New to the forum

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Paul Booker wrote:Hi Folks,

Well I am one of the guests that has appeared over the last year or so and decided to join last week. APT membership soon.

As you will see I am based in the Peak District and work on the other side of the ridge to Robin. I have been doing green woodwork (spoons, whistles etc) for a few years now mainly as an extension of bushcraft work and working in the outdoors ( canoeing,climbing etc).

Currently I am making a Kuska (mug out of birch), and lathe.

I have not posted before as I don't feel I have anything to offer at present.

Regards to all,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Well done tha'ts 2 down 8 to go.

Be nice to see the kuksa when its done. As for not having anything to offer I think of forums as a bit like the pub, no need for everyone to be an expert to say anything. In fact I reckon the most valuable contribution anyone can make to a forum is simply to say, "I enjoyed that thanks for posting" that encourages other folk to keep making the effort to put pictures up or whatever.
Last edited by robin wood on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robin wood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 pm

PETER WOOD wrote:Hi Robin
I did a one day introduction to blacksmithing a little while ago when we made a rams head SPAM, seems to be the standard first item. making the hook tool was simple we used a wagon brake drum as a hearth hooked up to some bellows and using our own charcoal for fuel it worked well, just hope the hook work as well.

Hope the hook works let us know how you get on. I always encourage folk to try making their own hooks, it really is quite easy and while the first one doesn't always work once you have learned how to get the fire hot you can always bend it again till it does.
robin wood
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:27 pm

a big welcome to peter and paul :D
paul atkin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 am

I talked to Nick and Katie Abbott yesterday and they are struggling with the sign up procedure but keen to get involved, hopefully they will be along soon.
robin wood
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:00 pm

22 people browsing the site at the moment :D why dont some more of you nice people sign up and join in.the more that join in the better it will get.
paul atkin
Regular

Postby Tom B » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Hello!
I'm another long-time guest finally registering...

I have a great interest green woodworking- most of the stuff I have made so far have been spoons, although when I go back home at the end of term I've some green ash and cedar slabs I'll have a go a chairmaking from.

This summer I'm also intending to practice some blacksmithing. I want to make some hooked/crooked knives, and perhaps some gouges.

My dream green woodworking project would be to make a viking/sami style fishing boat, simlar to those in this link. I'll be a long time untill I have the space to do this though![/url]

cheers,
Tom
Tom B
Regular

Postby robin wood » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Tom and welcome aboard. Nowt wrong with sticking to spoons if you ask me..in fact I personally think they are the purest form of green woodwork.

The Sami boat sounds fascinating, link not working though fancy giving it another try?
robin wood
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Magic Mrs Moderator fixed the link for you! Nice boats 8)
Oh yes, and hello and welcome Tom from someone else who doesn't turn and is rather fond of making spoons!
Nicola
Nicola Wood
Regular

Next

Return to Beginner's corner