new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here

Postby Hudsonhawk » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Hello all and greetings from not so cold Alaska. I recently began my first bit of turning and have a electric lathe but am very intrigued by the simplicity of a human powered machine and will likely be building one soon. This site has a fantastic amount of knowledge on it and I am excited to glean even a small amount.
Hudsonhawk

Postby Chas » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi from not so wet Manchester. I have been turning for about a year now on an electric lathe. I also do Dark age re-enactment and would love to combine the two and build a pole lathe soon for use at re-enactment shows. I also spent a day over Easter learning how to carve a spoon. So expect to find me wandering around this years Bodgers Ball asking lots of questions :D
Chas

Postby Abellto » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi folks I'm a newly signed up member as of April 2015. I live & work in Swadlincote South Debyshire, we are fortunate to own 5 acres of 16 year old National Forest Tender Scheme which we have worked now for just 2 years. We manage it as Coppice.
I have over 12 years experience in forestry & garden maintenance and hope to return to the woods with green wood craft.
I've been on a few courses and am just about to embark on my first ever Farmers Market in Swadlincote in April 2015. I'm petrified.
I guess this introduces me, sorry for the CV style resume.

Kind regard Darren Abell.
Abellto

Postby Steve Martin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:56 am

Welcome! Good Luck! Relax and enjoy meeting lots of nice folks who want to know more about what you do and what you know. Plan the day - work the plan - count your receipts.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:01 am

Abellto wrote:am just about to embark on my first ever Farmers Market in Swadlincote in April 2015. I'm petrified.

I get that. And do you know, you will be paid to do what you like to do: play about with wood, woodlands and communicate your joy to the public. They buy in direct proportion to your enthusiasm. In my experience, the quality of ware - esp for low end stuff like pencils and whistles - matters much less than the sense of fun you convey.

If you can, take a shavehorse and make something - even if only gypsy flowers. That pulls a crowd ,Even better if you have pole lathe.

Take lots of pictures of your set up at the market, so you can analyse it later.From the organiser, find who is the most successful trader there. Go and chat them up ( when they have a moment) and tell 'em you are new to this and are petrified. Tell 'em you asked the organiser who was the most successful here, and the organiser said you were, and you'd value just 3 pieces of advice from them at the end of the day. ( A specific number e.g. 3 makes them think and come up with more than they would otherwise. Take pics of their set-up too, and later ask them why they lay out the way they do. They'll probly drop what they are doing and give you advice then and there before the day's trading starts, for you have stoked their ego wonderfully and truthfully.

And if you want some hands-on practical training in selling woody stuff on the street, come to Scotland for a few days with me. I'll charge you nowt, and I may learn something from you. PM me to continue the conversation.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Stevenz » Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi my name is Steve and im from the Hawkesbay in New Zealand there is a lonk below to my Facebook showing a little of what I've been up tohttps://m.facebook.com/abygoneera
Stevenz

Postby Bob_Fleet » Sun May 24, 2015 12:36 am

Welcome Steve.
Sounds as if the pole-lathe is nearly ready.
Using Facebook as a blog looks a good idea, well done.
Be good to see some stuff from it soon.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby Abellto » Sun May 24, 2015 12:44 pm

gavin wrote:
Abellto wrote:am just about to embark on my first ever Farmers Market in Swadlincote in April 2015. I'm petrified.

I get that. And do you know, you will be paid to do what you like to do: play about with wood, woodlands and communicate your joy to the public. They buy in direct proportion to your enthusiasm. In my experience, the quality of ware - esp for low end stuff like pencils and whistles - matters much less than the sense of fun you convey.

If you can, take a shavehorse and make something - even if only gypsy flowers. That pulls a crowd ,Even better if you have pole lathe.

Take lots of pictures of your set up at the market, so you can analyse it later.From the organiser, find who is the most successful trader there. Go and chat them up ( when they have a moment) and tell 'em you are new to this and are petrified. Tell 'em you asked the organiser who was the most successful here, and the organiser said you were, and you'd value just 3 pieces of advice from them at the end of the day. ( A specific number e.g. 3 makes them think and come up with more than they would otherwise. Take pics of their set-up too, and later ask them why they lay out the way they do. They'll probly drop what they are doing and give you advice then and there before the day's trading starts, for you have stoked their ego wonderfully and truthfully.

And if you want some hands-on practical training in selling woody stuff on the street, come to Scotland for a few days with me. I'll charge you nowt, and I may learn something from you. PM me to continue the conversation.

Many thanks for the advise Gavin,The first market went well, didn't sell much but it was a positive experience. Just done another very small craft market in swadlincote, sales were slow but lots of positive feedback.
I'm booking in for a local leisure festival in june where the organiser wants me to demo, so this could be interesting.
Love this forum when i can get the time to browse.
Thanks again Gavin, funny how a holiday to Dumfries about 15 years ago set me off on the road to woodland work.
Abellto

Postby KarlK » Wed May 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Greetings,
Yes, another new guy. I live on Lake Superior in the U.S. working at a historical site. I have done green woodworking many years, I often work on coopering and bark canoes. The pole-lathe is new to me and looking forward to it.
Karl
KarlK

Postby Steve Martin » Thu May 28, 2015 3:41 am

Welcome, Karl! Glad to have another bodger on this side of the pond. I really like this site because of the knowledge base available and folks are helpful. Search the archives to find lots of great info. Jarrod Stonedahl and Peter Follansbee have informative blogs and links to other traditional woodworkers and turners in the USA. You can reach me here or at stephensmartin@msn.com. Have a great week-end!
Steve Martin
Regular

Hello from Somerset

Postby Simon Perks » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:25 am

Hello Everyone,

I've just joined the APT&GW and registered for the forum, so wanted to introduce myself. My name's Simon and I live in Nailsea in North Somerset. I've only recently taken up green woodworking and am currently trying to get to grips with spoon carving. I'm incredibly rubbish at the moment, but am hoping that with practice I will get a little better. I look forward to meeting fellow green woodworkers online or in person as time goes on.

With best regards,

Simon.
Simon Perks
Writer | Novice green woodworker | Very bad spoon carver
Somerset | UK
http://www.simonperks.com
Simon Perks

Postby gavin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:00 am

Simon,
Bodgers Ball will apparently be Tyntesfield National Trust next year: 2nd weekend of May. You should get along there for sure since it is near you. And for anyone else it is a great chance to meet other like-minded woody folk.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Simon Perks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks, Gavin - sounds great. Definitely a date for the diary.

Simon.
Simon Perks
Writer | Novice green woodworker | Very bad spoon carver
Somerset | UK
http://www.simonperks.com
Simon Perks

Postby Axel_E » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi,

my name is Axel and I am from Munich. Last month I started building a pole lathe. I use a bodger's muddle mounted to the basement ceiling. The bed of the lathe currently rests on the workbench (and the router table). I will build legs soon to be able to use the lathe also outdoor.

I also like spoon carving.

I am writing a blog about my woodworking activities. The blog is written in German, but anyway, most of the entries are about violin making:
http://holzigholzig.blogspot.de

Axel
Axel_E

Postby Darrell » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Axel,

I looked at some of the pictures on your blog, wanting to see how you built your version of the Bodger's Muddle.
It looks very nice, your bows are well finished, quite unlike mine.
My bows are very rough but functional.
Now that winter is coming I will be setting my lathe up indoors with the Bodger's Muddle on it.

Darrell
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner