new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here

Postby Axel_E » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi Darrell,

the indoor use was the reason for me to build the Bodger's Muddle. The two bows are broomsticks!

Axel
Axel_E

Postby Vushtrri » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:01 pm

'Afternoon...thought I'd come on and say hello...have been meaning to for some time! Lucky enough to have my own wood just under seven acres,where I escape to and amongst other things do a bit of work on the sapling powered pole lathe I built there. Up to now it's mainly been in the line of Priests, beech and oak, nice and heavy! Only had the wood for just over a year so still getting yo know it. Dare say I'll keep busy on the lathe during the nesting season when felling is restricted along with putting together a similar powered saw....there must be a simple way of making it work.
Vushtrri

Postby gavin » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Vushtrri wrote:'Afternoon...thought I'd come on and say hello...have been meaning to for some time! Lucky enough to have my own wood just under seven acres,where I escape to and amongst other things do a bit of work on the sapling powered pole lathe I built there. Up to now it's mainly been in the line of Priests, beech and oak, nice and heavy! Only had the wood for just over a year so still getting yo know it. Dare say I'll keep busy on the lathe during the nesting season when felling is restricted along with putting together a similar powered saw....there must be a simple way of making it work.

Where are you?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Vushtrri » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Nth Wales..wet and windy like most places now!
Vushtrri

Postby gavin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Vushtrri wrote:Nth Wales..wet and windy like most places now!

It will help you and others if you will declare North Wales in your profile
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby thestonecutter » Tue May 03, 2016 4:24 am

Hi. Making the leap to polelathe turning. Primarily interested in bowls and bowl shaped creations. I already appreciate ALL the pics and input here as I design my first polelathe.

I'm in Oregon City, OR and as of yet have taken no classes. Not sure there are many in the Pacific Northwest and even less sure if I could find the time to travel to one.

Cheers,
TJ
thestonecutter

Postby Slbelson » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi

Just joined the APLTGW, and this forum. I have spent some time looking through the posts and it's tempting to spend my time doing that instead of getting outdoors.....such a lot of great advice and experience from good hearted sharing folk.

I have always been interested in working with wood, and have done various bits and pieces over the years. In my garage I still have the ancient cast iron wood lathe my brother and I were given over forty years ago, but I have fancied green wood work since seeing it on "Out of Town" on TV as a child. I have made myself a shave horse and gleaned a few tools, and made a few spoons, some with useful holes in the centre of the bowl to prevent you from eating too much (actually, just carved too deep....).

My next ambition is to build a pole lathe for turning bowls. I am also interested in a wide range of traditional crafts, and forge odd things (eg hoof picks) from my horses' old shoes.

I am based in East Herts in the UK, and wondered if there is any possibility of starting a local group. I know there are some in Herts/ Cambs/ Essex, but none very close.

I hope it isn't inappropriate to suggest it in my first post!

Looking forward to a fruitful relationship with you all.

SLB
Slbelson

Postby Habe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 am

Hello!

I am a 29-year old guy from Estonia and I have made a few spoons.
I discovered this place through Robin Woods blog while looking for an easier way to do things.

My main struggle at the moment is my curved carving knife. I is a old leftover from my grandfather and I am just learning to sharpen it, but I will probably have to mahe a few modifications aswell.

Oh and I love Juniper!

Left to right: Juniper blank, abandoned Lilac blank, Juniper blank, Lilac, Juniper.
Habe

Postby OzEo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:38 pm

Made a mistake apparently
OzEo

Postby bourbon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi All. I am a pewter caster in a medieval re-enactment group specializing in the artisan crafts of the period. We have a carpender, Blacksmith, wool spinner, painter, fletcher a cook and of course casting. For this year, we hope to have a pole lathe turner. As with everything in the group, our other crafts will be helping to built the lathe and getting the display together. This will mostly be done (a)in the middle of a field. (b)with no power tools and (c)in front of an audience! We travel around the country so I will post where we are on here so if you want to see what we do, come along and say Hi.
bourbon

Postby Clapton33uk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi thanks for the add. I run a men's shed project at our local hospice, for bereaved men l just started a greenwood section hoping it will take someone's interest. I have built a pole lathe, made a couple of shave horse's. I l love all the old crafts but still finding me feet lol. But hopefully get loads of tips on here.
Clapton33uk

Postby Nigel65 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi I am new to green woodworking and looking sat building a shave horse and pole lathe, not sure if I should do a course on pole lathe turning first before I build it? Also I keep reading people sealing the ends of logs, if they can. It be used straight away, my question is what do you seal them with

I live in the uk in Crowborough, East Sussex
Kind regards
Nigel
Nigel65

Postby woodness sake » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:13 pm

Shave horse. Lathe. Course (you can practice on the lathe you built). I coat every thing with boiled linseed oil once a year or so.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby ilerner2 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:04 am

Hello Everyone, my first name is Ian. Originally from BC. Canada and now living retired in Mexico. Currently learning more about green woodworking and spoon carving. And now I have discovered it would be nice to have more than one shape of crook knife so I have ordered three more and a shorter 120 Mora for tighter general work. Still considering building a pole lathe and gathering info. I have a power lathe and shop space is at a premium so I'll have to decide how badly I want a pole lathe. Anyways that's me to date. Saludos.
ilerner2
Regular

Postby starypan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Hello, if I'm in the wrong place, sorry. I'm in the Midlands and started carving when I couldn't bear to put some of the wood I was chopping on the fire.I have a question and if anyone can put me right on this I'd be very grateful.
I started carving spoons about 4 yrs ago and bowls more recently. I've used plum, sycamore, pear, apple and others that I believe are food safe, but I've used a fair bit of cherry from different sources, and am unsure what type of cherry, some quite dark and others with distinct heart wood and sap wood, all quite lovely results. I've recently seen comments saying some cherry wood is not suitable for spoons for food use - as I'm planning on selling work later in the year - this has caused a crisis of confidence, or am I just reading the wrong stuff. Thanks to anyone with any advice.
starypan

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner